Sunday, January 1, 2012

Basho Revisited, enjoying the coolness

Also published for

Another week has gone by. A new Thursday Poets Rally, week 57 has come. This last week was very busy. My wife had her birthday and all of our children and grandchildren were at our home to celebrate it. It was a great day. We also decorated the Christmas tree.
In between these activities finding time to write haiku wasn't easy, but ... I was inspired and excited when I got the Thursday Poets Award for week 57. Another thing to celebrate.


I am honored to have gotten this award for my haiku and I like to thank all of you who nominated me. Who am I to got this award which I humbly accept.
Well ... back to business. I am preparing a series of blog-items about Matsuo Basho (1644-1694), a haikumaster. I already published the first four parts of this new series, which I have given the title Basho Revisited (for example part one), earlier this month on my other blog. In every part of Basho Revisited I am telling something about Basho's life and use a haiku written by him. Writing about Basho is easy, because I love his haiku and I am feeling a kind of bond with him. I also try to write a haiku in the same sense and tone of the haiku by Basho. I hope (and that's the challenge) that my haiku has a little of "Basho's Spirit".
According to fellow haiku poets, my haiku are in the same Spirit as the haiku by Basho. I can't say that of my own haiku, maybe you, my visitors, can tell me.

In part eight of Basho Revisited (not published yet) I used the following haiku by Basho which he wrote in 1676. It's a translation by Jane Reichhold and was published in "Old Pond: Basho's (almost) thousand haiku" also by Jane Reichhold.

essential to life
the little space under my hat
enjoying the coolness


This is a not so well known haiku of Basho. The Japanese hat in this haiku is the so called "kasa".

Credits: kasa
The "kasa" was an umbrella like hat. In some way through wearing this 'kasa' Basho always had his own shady place at hand.

The haiku I wrote in this part of Basho Revisited has the same tone, sense and humor I think.

such a hot day
my shadow needs to cool down
under the willow


Another one with the same theme:

hot summer day
the shadow of the willows
Ah! that coolness


Happy Rally!!

No comments:

Post a Comment